Posted by: communitycop | June 21, 2008

Manhattan & Brooklyn DA’s offers to drop charges against Sean Bell protestors in the NYC 50-shot protests

Last month Rev. Al Sharpton led citywide demonstrations against the acquittals of officers in the Sean Bell case. Hundreds of protestors clogged intersections bringing traffic to a halt. More than 200 people were arrested, including Rev Sharpton, Nicole Paultre Bell, the fiancée of slain groom Sean Bell, Joseph Guzman and Trent Benefield- both who were shot and wounded by the police in a hail of 50 bullets in the 2006 shooting. The charges included disorderly conduct for blocking traffic or refusing orders to disperse.

Although these cases are generally dismissed as is the practice with most civil disobedience cases, the Brooklyn and Manhattan prosecutors said charges will only be dismissed against 154 of the protesters after six months “if the defendants stay out of trouble”. One protestor who was arrested said that “this stipulation is a ploy to reduce the number of people who would possibly submit themselves to for arrest at the next major protest.”

61 cases, including those of Bell and Sharpton, are still pending in Manhattan and another nine pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct.

Bell, 23, died in a hail of 50 bullets on Nov. 25, 2006, by undercover police officers who were cleared of all charges.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: